In 1991 The Corstorphine Trust was given use of one of the oldest inhabited buildings in the City of Edinburgh. At that time, it was derelict. However, with the help of funding and support from Historic Scotland, The Lottery Fund and generous bequests, we have managed to bring this local historic building back to life and it now forms the heart of our community.
We can trace its origins back to 1587. We know that it was in the ownership of James Ingles and J P Wood in his “Draft History of Corstorphine Parish” (written in 1792) mentions the stones being removed from the old castle site to build “Mr Michelson’s house that was the residence of the Lord Forresters”.
It is sometimes referred to as Gibsone’s Lodge after its late 18th century occupants, the Gibsones of Pentland.
The building has characteristic Scottish crow-stepped gables and scrolled skew puts. The exterior is harled and lime washed and shows signs of alteration over the years with both gable ends probably having been built at different times.
In 2000 The Corstorphine Trust decided to change the name of the building to the Corstorphine Heritage Centre which better reflects the use to which it is put today.
The Trust is very aware of its responsibilities concerning this building and it is true to say that it has also now become a focal point for concerts, private functions and community groups. Very much the beating heart of village life.